Friday, November 28, 2008

Not Knowing










It's very hard not really knowing how far this economic instability is going to travel. This morning I was reading about how larger institutions like hotels and grocery stores and shopping malls are starting to have their properties foreclosed by banks. WOW. That is wild. Makes pottery seem at once insignificant and yet simultaneously enormously relevant.

Objects made by hand are so crucial to the well-being of a great society. I've spoken with a lot of people who assume that somehow technology is going to solve all of our problems. I disagree. If we are to survive and prosper, I really think that it will be due to our ability to empathize and to share in the stories of others. I have been reading A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel Pink, and I am finding so many social relevances that (I hope) may finally be put into play. Give it a read. I hope you are as surprised as I was.

No comments: